Her Story: Giving God the Broken Pieces

And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.
1 Peter 5:10 (ESV)

Sometimes the journey we walk to answered prayer is much longer and harder than seems possible. Sometimes the journey includes consequences of our past choices and healing and growth need to come before our prayers are answered. But God is with us every step.

I have not always been the sweet gray-haired, praying, church lady I am today. Because of some things I experienced as a child and young adult my concept of love was totally messed up. I looked for love in all the wrong places and when I didn’t find it I turned to alcohol and drugs to fill the emptiness. Unfortunately, due to my wrong choices, I failed in some ways as a mom. I was so relationship addicted that I failed to put my daughter first. I failed to protect her and as a result, at 29 years old she stepped out of my life. To say I was blindsided by her decision is an understatement. We had spent many hours, over many years, sharing and healing from those early years. Or so I thought. She is now 40 and the silence can be deafening at times. I have had to lay this burden, this desire to be reconciled with her, at the foot of the cross.

Even more than wanting her to reconcile with me, my heart's desire is for her to reconcile with Jesus. Click To Tweet

During these past 11 years, God has grown me in many ways. Here are three key things I’ve learned:

I am not alone.

It was very difficult to share this situation with other women for fear that they would judge or reject me. The opposite has been true. As I have shared about our broken relationship, so many other moms have opened up about their broken relationships. So many women have joined me in prayer. Honestly, at times I am so weary praying that I just can’t. Knowing other women are standing in the gap, lifting me, my daughter, and son-in-law up in prayer is so very comforting. It is also a blessing to pray for others struggling with broken relationships too.

God’s Word is true.

God’s Word is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow so I know He is working in and through this broken relationship for His glory. His Word says that He will grant the desires of my heart and the greatest desire of my heart is to see my daughter and son-in-law reconciled with Jesus and then me.

I needed a relationship with Jesus.

When this journey started I knew who Jesus was but I did not know Him. I had accepted that I needed Jesus but had no clue what it meant to have a relationship with Him. I was so depressed the first year of our separation, suicide was a dark cloud hanging over me daily. Finally, I came to a point where I had to choose that life was worth living, even without my sweet daughter, or end it all. Because of my husband and remembering the pain my mom went through when my older brother took his life, dying was not an option. But how could I go on living?

I began to read God’s Word, pray, and trust that God had and still does have a plan in this journey. I began to feel the presence of the Holy Spirit. I developed a relationship with Jesus that has carried me through many hard times. I know that even though I am going through a difficult journey God will restore the broken, messy pieces of my past for His glory in my life.

Was/Is there something in your past that you were/are afraid to share? Did/would having a friend you could trust, help you share it?

Do you see God in your journey?

Heavenly Father, Even in the darkest days when I felt like a cloud was casting a shadow over me, You were with me. Thank You for being the light that cast that shadow, for always being with me. Be with my sisters as they walk the difficult journeys in their lives. Show them in ways only You can that You are with them and that You are working all things for their good. Bring sisters around them that will help carry their burdens and join them in prayer. Thank you, Lord, that your Word promises that You will never leave us nor forsake us. In the powerful name of Jesus, we pray, Amen.

23 thoughts on “Her Story: Giving God the Broken Pieces

Barb

Oh Nancy, reading this helps me understand so much more why you have such a tender heart towards people. You understand loss in so many ways, that God has given you true empathy for the pain of others. Only Jesus could bring your daughter to her knees, and I will join you in your fervent prayers for her. I don’t know the pain of a lossed relationship with my children, but I know the ache for my kids to know Jesus as their Savior.
He can heal and make whole all things.
You and your daughter will continue to be in my prayers, sweet friend.

Yes, Barb, can and will make things whole, even those that seem impossible. Thank you for your kind words.

Oh Nancy, thank you for sharing this most personal and tender journey with us. What a witness and encouragement to the power of God you are! I know your story will bring comfort and hope to many others!

Kim

So many women can relate to your story, your journey, your testimony.
Several women came to my mind as I read your story. Now your daughter is living her life making her journey which is going to lead to her testimony. Which will encourage so many women like her. That is what I am so encouraged about. God is with her during this time helping her through and she may not even know it yet. So lets pray for your daughter.: Father we thank you for never leaving Nancy or her daughter alone. We ask Father that you send people to minister and encourage her daughter. Lay sweet spiritual music at her ears that will speak to her. Let a verse be seen by her eyes that sparks an interest. Mend this relationship between mother and daughter. Thank you Father for all these things, Amen. We love you Nancy!

Amen Kim! Thank you for your encouraging words!

Nancy- I have always been intrigued by you. I am so grateful for the transparency you have always had in our friendship. You help me be more brave in sharing my “messy” faith story. What I love most? Your heart for others. Your willingness to walk with them through their journey, hand in prayerful hand.

Donna

Amen! I agree! Love you Nancy! SO SO much !

Thank you Donna-love you too!! You are another brave sister!

You make ME brave, Jodie! Your continued transparency in your journey has helped me be more transparent. Love walking with you and joining hands in prayer.

Diana Rockwell

Awe Sweet Wonderful Nancy, my heart breaks yet I see the strength God has given you. I am forever in awe of God, how two peeps from different states could meet and become a sister-in-the-Lord. My prayer is Psalm 34:7 that God will deliver you from your fears and Psalm 37:4 to give you the desires of your heart for reconciliation. I love you Diana

Nancy S

Love you sweet sister friend! Thank you for your friendship and prayers.

Jenny Sanderlin

Love you my dear sister! 🙏🏻💕🙏🏻💕🙏🏻💕🙏🏻

Love you too Jenny my sister in both our earthly blood and through Jesus’ blood!

Donna Fender

Thank you for sharing Nancy. To know you is to love you.

Love you too sweet friend!

Michele O’Leary

Nancy, your words are tender and your truth will help other women know that they are not alone. You are one of the most compassionate people I know and you have a heart of giving like no other. Thank you sweet friend. I love you.

P.S. Barb spoke so perfectly about how I feel too,”I don’t know the pain of a lossed relationship with my children, but I know the ache for my kids to know Jesus as their Savior.”

Thank you Michele for your love support and prayers.

Thank you Michele for your kind words, love and prayers.

Cindy K Krall

Nancy, there are so many parts of your story that women can identify with. The part that I think I am the most grateful for is the fact that you are brave enough to share it! You inspire me, friend. Thank you!

Definitely have not felt brave, the enemy has been working overtime but God is bigger than anything the enemy can throw my way. Truth be told when I was asked to consider submitting a blog I had a totally different idea of what to write BUT GOD! As soon as I said ok I will write about what He wanted me to write about the words just flowed and it was written in one sitting. It was all God bravery with my knees knocking, stomach twisting fear about what others might think of my mom failings. God has a purpose for this part of my testimony and I am eagerly waiting to see what He does with it. Love you sweet sister.

What a beautiful story you have, my friend. I would have never known this about you. What incredible work God has done in you. Thank you for sharing. <3
Laura

Thank you Laura. I can honestly say I don’t even recognize the person I used to be before Jesus transformed my heart. ❤️❤️