Her Story: There is No Higher Purpose than Serving the Lord

Great are your purposes and mighty are your deeds. Your eyes are open to the ways of all mankind. You reward each person according to their conduct and as their deeds deserve.
Jeremiah 32:19 (NIV)

Have you ever wondered what your purpose is? Well, I thought I knew mine.

I loved teaching and coaching kids. I also loved planting faith seeds and watching kids grow in their faith. I have always found it easier to talk to kids than adults about Jesus. I felt like that was my purpose in life.

Over the years I have received numerous texts, calls, and letters from past students thanking me for leading them to Christ. That is a very rewarding feeling. But, the day I retired from education was the day I left that behind. At first, I didn’t feel any different, but after a while, I started questioning my purpose.

I’m in my fourth year of retirement and I still ask God what my purpose is.

I’m not sure if I have heard him or not, but I’m listening closely.

I can be pretty hard-headed and stubborn at times and I think occasionally it just takes me longer to get my answer.

I do know that whether I know my purpose at this moment or not, I am never alone because God is always with me. Click To Tweet

Jeremiah 29:11 says, “For I know what I have planned for you says the Lord. I have plans to prosper you; not to harm you. I have plans to give you a future filled with hope.”

I belong to a wonderful Sunday school class at my church. We are involved in a lot of ways. We feed our youth the first Sunday and Wednesday of every month, we donate money to several organizations, and we help the needy whenever possible. We are a group of prayer warriors.

The journey I am on now has led me to Sisterhood Ministries. I have God and my sister to thank for that.

I attended a retreat with my sister and met some amazing women. Those women along with my sister are part of the SHM team. They have made me feel at home. I am a cheerleader for these ladies as well as a prayer partner. I am beginning to think that serving as a prayer warrior and cheerleader is my new purpose. I love that! That is something I can do every day and feel comfortable doing, unlike writing this blog. I am not a writer like the other ladies in SHM but I have the words. I am also not a speaker, but I do have a voice for our Lord and Savior.

I know as an imperfect person I let God down every day, but I also know He never lets me down. No matter what I’m going through, God is always there. When I questioned my purpose, He stayed close and revealed to me how to move forward.

We have a saying in our church, ‘When we go out into the world, be Jesus with skin on.’ That isn’t always easy to do.

But all God is asking us to do is try.

And that’s my purpose.

If you love the Lord as much as I do, then we owe Him that.

Do you know your purpose in life?

What would you tell someone if they asked you to help them find their purpose?

Do you think our purposes vary in weight or importance? Why or why not?

Dear Heavenly Father, Thank You so much for giving us a purpose. For never leaving us nor forsaking us. Thank You for loving us, for forgiving us and showing mercy. We fall short every day because we are not perfect people, but You love us anyway. Lord I pray for everyone who doesn’t know what they are designed for, but they must never stop believing in You. I know You will show them what their purpose is when the time is right. Lord I thank You for the wonderful ladies you have brought into my life. I thank you for every thing that I have and every thing that I am. Continue to show me Your ways so that I may continue to grow in them. In your precious name, Amen!

20 thoughts on “Her Story: There is No Higher Purpose than Serving the Lord

Cheri

Robin…, I can do relate to this. I taught 30+ years in a public school here in Michigan. It was my calling and so I really rethought what my purpose was after retiring six years ago. Prayer and encouraging others is a big part of my life now. Bless you and thank you for sharing! Cheri

Cheri, I’ve been retired from teaching for six years too, and am discoing the same new purpose (or maybe a continuation just in a new way!)
    PS I graduated from CMU with my teaching degree and moved to WV for my first teaching job and ended up staying so we’re both Michiganders too!😊

Robin Conway

Thank you so much Cheri. Teaching is such a rewarding profession and I know the rewards will keep coming by continuing to serve the Lord.

Robin,
Thank you for your beautiful and heart felt message. I too, have prayed about what my purpose is and what it will look like when it’s tine to do something else beyond what I’m doing now. Your servant’s heart is who you are and God has taken your devotion to kids and people to the next level. Continue to pray and seek His guidance in all things as you discover what He has store for you. I think of you often when I see the words….”be the hands and feet of Jesus.” I love you!

Robin Conway

Thank you Mitzi, I appreciate your kind words. You are an inspiration to me everyday. Thank you for everything you do. You have a servants heart as well! Love you.

Robin, you are an encourager! Your story reminds me that in every season my purpose can be found in seeking and serving God for His glory. Sometimes that looks different outwardly but inward in still looks as “seeking and serving” all for the glory of God. We are so blessed to have an encouraging sister like you.

Robin Conway

I am blessed to have you and the other ladies from SHM in my life. You are also an encourager. Thank you for everything you do.

Linda

Robin,
You are such an inspiration to all who are blessed to call you friend! Your love for God and others is evident in everything you do.
I am so ptoud of you for sharing your thoughts about our purpose. As followers of Christ, I think we all share many of your thoughts about living a purposeful life. So many of us who chose education as our career desired to make a positive difference in the lives of children, parents, and our colleagues. As we retire, we continue to serve God, share our faith with others, and seek His voice in our daily activities as God leads us. I see you passionately fulfill His purpose in all you do.
Thank you sweet friend for sharing your faith, His love, and thoughts about living a purposeful life.

Robin Conway

Thank you Linda for your kind words. I try very hard to be the servant my Lord needs me to be. I know I fall short everyday but I won’t give up. Being a part of the SHM prayer team means a lot to me. I love and appreciate all of you. I’m so glad God put each of you in my life.

Robin, Your story is mine!!! Retired teacher searching for purpose….enter Sisterhood Ministries and the thought that praying may be my new purpose! I didn’t know we were kindred spirits! I still battle the idea that I have to earn God’s love and so my little mind questions if praying is “enough” or should I be doing more? Sisterhood is teaching me that prayer is powerful and more than enough for any situation! Thank you for sharing your encouraging words! They have touched me more than you know!

Robin Conway

Thank you Cindy, it’s comforting to know there is another woman with the same heart and like mindedness as myself. I think you are right about SHM coming into our lives at the right time. I thought the same thing about being on the prayer team not being enough, but I was wrong. Praying to God and being a prayer warrior is more than enough for now.
    Thank you for the encouraging words.

Robin, thank you for sharing a part of your journey. When my husband and I were in a head on motorcycle accident and then later when I contracted Lyme disease, that was not treated right away, I struggled with what my purpose was. I physically could not do what I had previously done and am fatigued easily. It has taken lots of prayer to find my purpose. God showed me that I could still pray, no matter how I felt. It is such an honor and pleasure to serve on the SHM Prayer Team with you!!

Robin Conway

Thank you Nancy. I’m so glad you did not give up. You have such a sweet spirit. I enjoy serving on the SHM prayer team with you too. Thank you for being so faithful.

Kim Sheppard

Robin-
Wow! I loved your story. You do have a great purpose!! I am so there. I have gone through different transitions at different times. Then I question God is this all, is this it, it can’t be? I have found I can get to comfortable in one spot. God comes along and changes that. LOL. He sees more purpose in what I can do and nudges me right out of my little comfortable spot. Each time after adjusting I like my new change. You have been such an inspiration today. These students will never forget what you shared with them. Now they can share in their generational line. I love you for your sweet spirit. A true sister in christ. We need you to teach us your technic on how to reach our youth. The youth are our future and we need them. Much love Kim.

Robin Conway

Thank you so much Kim. I appreciate your kind words. It’s nice to actually know several women who have the same struggles as myself. I know I will never be the accomplished writer but I will continue to try and put my words to use to help others, just as my actions have. Thank you for your support. Good luck in everything you set out to do. Love and hugs!

Michele

Robin, your words touch my heart, thank you for sharing your story.

I struggled for most of my life not knowing my purpose—allowing the world to define purpose instead of God. God touched my heart, eyes and thoughts not too many years ago and showed me He is my purpose and everything else will fall into place when I put Him first. I hold tight to what God teaches me each day and look for my special purposeful assignment for the day.

It is an honor to call you friend, ministry partner and my sister. I am proud of you. Love you. Michele

Robin Conway

Thank you so much Michele. Maybe I should have thought like you do on putting my God First and then my purpose would follow. I thought I was doing that. But again I was probably doing what I wanted and then I asked God for guidance. Lol silly me.
    Thank you for all of your prayers and friendship. I love being a part of the SHM prayer team. I am so glad God put all of you in my life. Love and hugs to you! 😘

Kelly Stanley

Robin, thank you for sharing with us. Sometimes it’s really hard to hear God’s voice as we figure out where we fit. I’m so glad He lead you to us! <3

Robin, it made me so happy to see your sweet face on here! Thanks for this wonderful post. What a great reminder that as long as we continue to pursue God, He will lead us to our purpose for Him no matter what season we are in. <3

Tara Horsley

I was a certified Nurse Aide for 12 years.,for young adults, children and older adults with disabilities and other disease for home health. Plus I got to me the hand and feet of Jesus to to them. To tell them about Jesus why take care of them. I got Lung Cancer and had to quit working.I am 8 year Lung cancer free. My son’s are raised. My oldest son has intellical disabilities you can’t tell it by looking at him. He is getting ready to move into an apartment with 2 other Clients and staff around the clock. Then here will start Volcation Rehab to help him get a job. I have been praying about my purposes will be in the next several months to a year. God has been whisper to me he has purposes for me. So I am waiting until he reveal them to me. Please keep this in your prayer.Right now my purposes he said is to write everyday to glory God, Be a Christian Homemaker, Wife.he said until he reveals to me. So I am waiting . Plus I am Sharing Sisterhood Ministeries with other I know and I want to get it started in Indianapolis, Indiana and Whiteland Indiana, God has lead this on my heart.