Sisterhood is cheering each other on

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.”
Hebrews 12:1 NIV

Drat! I did it again.

The green-eyed monster reared its ugly head as I scrolled past her social media post.

Once again it felt like someone achieved something I had not and jealousy welled up in my heart, even if just for a moment. As fast as I scrolled past with green eyes, I scrolled back and tapped the like button. My flesh and Spirit may battle, but I want to win this war. I do not wish to be a woman consumed with envy; I want to be the encourager God made me to be.

Sisterhood is cheering each other on.

Sisterhood is cheering each other on even when, especially when, you are running the same race.

Often it feels like everyone is a step ahead, but isn’t that okay when the goal is the same? Click To Tweet

I once trained and competed in triathlons. Each day I had a choice of whether I would get up and condition my body to swim, run, and bike. Often, I would train alone, but I loved having a partner to train beside. The mere presence of another person can spur the heart to strive and keep pressing forward. Combine that with a person who will encourage you to continue toward the goal and you have a sister.

After completing my second triathlon and sharing my experience with my husband about how I would cheer each biker and runner I passed to keep going, he said, “why would you do that?” He didn’t grasp the value of cheering on a competitor. That was the thing. I didn’t see a competitor. I saw a valuable person striving to reach the finish line.

When I look at my sisters in Christ, I see the same: a valuable woman, running toward the finish line God has set for her. I want to be the one that encourages her to run the race. Our race is the same. Our pace may be different, but there should be a singular goal. We should each desire to walk in step with the Lord, bringing glory to Him along the way.

But the battle is real. I know. After serving in women’s ministries for ten years, I understand the struggle. Jealousy does creep in and envy insists on the win. Jealousy can threaten to hinder us and become a sin that entangles us.

Decide now to win the battle.

The book of Hebrews speaks to our race encouraging us to “run with perseverance the race marked before us.” But how? How do we keep our pace and encourage others as well? I believe the key to unlocking this question is found in the next verse. Hebrews 12:2 begins saying, “fixing your eyes on Jesus.”

I like to summarize Hebrews 12:1-2 by saying, “run the race, keep the pace, keep your eyes on Jesus.” When we fix our eyes on Him, we are less likely to be defeated by the green-eyed monster. We can focus on cheering each other on. We can be sisters who encourage.

When has jealousy stirred in your heart? What can you do to combat the feeling of envy?

Read about Paul’s struggle with sin in Romans 7:14-25. What question does Paul ask in verse 24 and what is his own response in verse 25? How does this encourage you as you decide now to win the battle over jealousy?

Lord, help me when I fall short and allow jealousy to creep into my heart. Help me encourage my sisters as I want to be encouraged. You have something planned for all your children. We are all a part of the story. May our eyes stay fixed on Jesus and may we give Him all the glory. In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.

9 thoughts on “Sisterhood is cheering each other on

Love this and you Jodie!!

Thinking of you and praying for you as we enter 2020. You are greatly loved by God and your sisters.

Janet

Jealousy can involve any combination of things. We may be jealous of someone’s social/economic status; someone’s abilities, family or loved ones, possessions, expensive new gadget, money, cars, ideas, recognition, just anything! I say for myself sometimes I fight Jealousy over position at work, but that is a ridiculous thing to be jealous over as my Boss treats everyone’s position just as valuable as the next. He showed me that in my Christmas Card as he expressed how valued I am to him!
He expressed it in his words and his Christmas Check which I felt I would not get one this year Because I have been out recovering from a surgery for 2 months. My Christmas check was unbelievable enough to help pay my mortgage. We serve a mighty God and he provides for us always.
It is important for me to remember that there is nothing wrong with asking God for things we need and want in prayer, but we should ask with the firm belief that God knows exactly what we need (that can be tough for any of us) and want and will provide for us according to His will.

Such wisdom Janet! “…there is nothing wrong with asking God for the things we need… but we should ask with the firm belief that God knows exactly what we need.” Your words have been affirmation for me. (And I’m so happy that things turned out the way they did at work. What a blessing!) Happy New Year friend!

Faye

Love this today, Jodie. Especially when you stated we are all running a race for the same goal, just at different paces. This indeed helps put the green eyed monster in his place.

always with my eyes on the Kingdom…it certainly helps, Faye. Happy New Year. We are blessed to call you sister.

I can remember feeling such envy watching teachers be recognized as “Teacher of the Year” knowing how hard I was working to be the best teacher I could be. I’d have to remind myself that it wasn’t about being recognized but rather working hard to be the teacher God designed me to be…..it wasn’t always easy for this perfectionist extraordinaire for sure! Now that I’m retired and have joined some writing groups, I can see that part of me emerge again and I even see it in the midst of other Christians who seem to be doing a more significant work than me!! Thank you Jodie for these important words and for the reminder that we all go at our own pace but have the same goal! I want to be a cheerleader not a green-eyed monster.

Kelly O’Dell Stanley

The writing communities I’ve been part of have provided some of my best friendships and encouragement — but oh, how often I find myself envious of other peoples’ successes. (I know, that’s ugly, but just being real.) It’s a constant struggle for me to pull my eyes off of THEM and look instead to God. Ultimately, I am doing all that I do for Him and that “success” may look very different than someone else’s. Thanks for being real and letting me know I’m not the only one with this struggle. We can cheer each other on! 🙂

I’m grateful for Jodie’s post that helps us know we’re not alone in this. The green-eyed monster can surface in so many ways… different for each one of us. I’m so glad God is patient. He keeps reminding me that He has a purpose and a plan. When I focus on that I get less caught up in where I think I should be at in the process. Thanks for being vulnerable and sharing the work He is doing in your life Cindy!