Sisterhood is a Deep and Powerful Connection Among Friends

Every time I think of you, I give thanks to my God.
Philippians 1:3 (NLT)

I dropped by a friend’s office one afternoon to say hello. As I peeked in the door I found her staring at the computer screen with such intensity she didn’t even know I was there. After a minute or so of watching and waiting I said, “Hey, what’s going on?” She looked up and the best she could muster was, “Oh, Hi there.”

That wasn’t the response I was expecting. Nor was I ready for the ugly cry that interrupted her apology of, “I’m so sorry, but things are so messed up right now I don’t know what to do.”

I knew what I wanted to do. I wanted to bust in the room and shout, never fear, your sister is here as if I were a superhero with a big cape!

As a mother I come armed with the title of fierce protector, so when I discovered my friend hurting it was all I needed to go into full-blown ‘fix-it’ mode and disentangle whatever it was that was wreaking havoc in her life. Click To Tweet

But truth be told, I couldn’t really fix anything until I knew what the problem was. And before I could move forward to help my sweet friend, I needed to listen and hear her words. Really listen.

Bottom line, her troubles were a combination of things dragging her down and stealing her joy. Too many things…..but I was determined she’s wasn’t going to walk this journey alone.

So, what’s a girl to do?

Like many of you, I’ve experienced some of those difficult times and I wouldn’t have made it without my heart sisters standing shoulder to shoulder with me and filling the gaps. I’m incredibly grateful for the amazing women in my life who prayed over me, sent encouraging texts, and checked on me to make sure I was putting one foot in front of the other. While my circle is filled with vastly different women, we are bound by common threads that include, love, admiration and a fierce loyalty.

We are also encouragers, motivators, cheer givers, and the exclamation points to the end of difficult conversations. It’s a privilege to build one another up and provide biblical hope when the struggle is real.  I’m even more grateful for God’s reminder to never pass judgment over something that isn’t mine to judge. Instead, I strive to live by the motto: One for all and all for one. That’s how it should be.

Sisterhood is a gift; it’s a deep and powerful connection shared among friends and I am blessed to be both a recipient and a giver. God’s provision always comes at the right time and when it’s needed most. We are to give thanks for each other and give God the credit for making us sisters of the heart.

My gratitude can be measured through the words of Ralph Waldo Emerson when he wrote, “I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” And indeed, I do.

How do you support your friends through good times and bad?

Describe what it means to be a part of sisterhood.

How often do you take time to tend to and grow your friendships?

Lord, I come to you today thanking you for the precious friends I call sisters. Thank you for those special connections I can lean on, talk with, laugh with, cry with, and share my heartfelt thoughts with. I’m grateful for the capacity you build in each of us to love unconditionally as we walk this journey hand in hand. I pray each of us finds a circle of women to call our own and to explore the beauty of true friendship as You intended. In Your precious name, Amen.

18 thoughts on “Sisterhood is a Deep and Powerful Connection Among Friends

Love my deep connections to friends. As a child I had a real friend or two, but most were superficial. Today I am grateful for the genuine friends who love me for me, care for me and make sure our connections are solid. All those years ago I may have been lonely, but today I am loved and cherish my tribe, new and old. I thank God for His blessings.

Linda

I loved reading this sweet message, thank you! So extra thankful for time this week with dearest friends as I visit my hometown, away across the country from my house. Friends of 35, 45, and 58 years! We are each other’s cheerleaders and prayer warriors. So much love and affection and cups of tea ☕️ . Then, more praises as I spend time with my sweet mom, sister, brothers, nieces, nephews this week! Happy Thanksgiving to all and May Gods sweet blessings of joy fill your hearts!

Thank you Linda! God is so good —to have blessed you with long time friendships with roots that run deep. Enjoy your time with your precious friends and family. I pray His abundant blessings for you this holiday season.

Robin Conway

Mitzi, thank you for the great message! I have always been your biggest cheerleader as I know you are mine! I have been in that situation to bust in a room and tell people to leave my sister alone! Our mom was the same way! She would never hesitate to let someone know when they weren’t treating her girls right or anyone for that matter! But as I have grown older I do tend to listen more before I come to the rescue! Lol I feel the same about my sisters in Christ! I will be there for all of you as well! I will pray for you and offer encouragement when needed and hopefully good advice when asked! We are all so very blessed to have so many people in our lives that are like minded and love the Lord! May you all have a very, very blessed Thanksgiving!
      Love and hugs!

Thank you for always being right there with me and being the cheerleader I need. God blessed us richly when He made us blood sisters and I agree with you–mother set the example for protecting and defending those she loved and cared for. So thankful for you and the many sweet sisters in Christ.

Sisters… truly nothing better! Love you Robin and thank you for sharing your sister here!

Linda, I love that you have such a broad age range of friends. What a gift! It is truly a blessing to spend time together, isn’t it? I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving friend!

Michelle Cooper

Yes, I thank God for wonderful friends who fill the gap. I I don’t believe God ever intended for us to bear our troubles alone. I am grateful for friends like you who remind to stop and let others comfort me!

Amen and I’m so glad to have you in my life precious friend. You are right, God doesn’t intend for us to go it alone but I do believe it makes Him happy for us to find our tribe. So thankful for you.

I agree! I think God is a god of relationships and nothing pleases Him more than when we share one another’s burdens! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving Michelle!

I’m so thankful for sisters who surround me with their love and protection, and even more so when I need them to cover me in prayers. That’s what sisters do–we help shoulder the load when needed. Thankful for you my friend!

Jana

Mitzi, Thank you for this wonderful encouragement. But thank you more for being a listener, encourager and sister to me! Sisterhood is definitely a gift!

It is mutual! Im so grateful for my soul friend who is genuine, funny, creative and a great listener. Love having you in my corner—thank you for everything.

Suzanne Bardwell

There are soul sisters who hold each other up through love, through prayer, through encouragement. A phone call, a text, a cup of coffee with a heart friend can be a quiet joy or a lifesaver depending on the day. Sisterhood requires the awareness that you are part of God’s creation with the a family standing ready to walk the path of faith together…together when needed, together in spirit regardless…Mitzi you are one of my favorite people to walk this path with.

Thank you so much! I am deeply thankful and grateful for your friendship. Many times over the years we have prayed for one another, encouraged one another, and most especially, loved one another. You are my heart sister–the one who can read between the lines, who knows when I’m on the verge of something hard, and the one who brings great joy to my life. You are the one who reminded me to get my super girl cape out of the laundry! Love you friend.

Danya Baker

I count so many as friends, each one far more dear to me than they’ll probably ever realize, and growing up, that bond with best girlfriends was something I always had. As I’ve gotten older, and life more complex, i’ve become somewhat of a loner, forgetting sometimes all of the amazingly beautiful things that lie in those relationships. Thank you, Mrs. Neely, for this perfectly timed and much needed reminder today! Still my teacher and blessing after all these years!

Oh sweet girl, I stand amazed at your quiet strength, your bold confidence, and the courage to seize each and every day. You are a beautiful soul who brings great joy to my life and I’m forever grateful. Friendships are amazing. Sisters are even better. We must love them, encourage them, and care for them–and they will be there for us. Love you!!

Becky Balboa

Mitzi- thankful for this particular post. I really needed this at this point in my life, and what I am going through. I find myself trying to take care of it all by myself. Reading this reminds me that i don NOT need to do this alone. I have strong friends and family who are ready to help, and I just need to ask. I love you!