Sisterhood is Having Each Other’s Back

“A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken.” Ecclesiastes 4:12 NLT
Ecclesiastes 4:12 NLT

There I sat, smiling ear to ear, laughing at the conversation, enjoying the moment, with not a care in the world. All the while, unbeknownst to me, my teeth were littered with little black seeds from my everything bagel. Where was a sister when you needed her?

That sister who would nudge me a little and tell me about my dotted smile and even break out her compact and let me use it to get myself right. Where was my backup at this gathering? I didn’t even know until I sat back in my jeep and pulled the visor down to put on my shades and give myself a once over in the mirror. Yes, I look. No, I am not so self-absorbed that I cannot laugh at myself and flecks in my teeth. And don’t worry, the whole post is not about teeth. But the whole incident reminds me of those bigger times in life, those times when the world attacks us, hurls us over and hurts our hearts.

When the world attacks, we need someone to stand back-to-back and help us conquer the things that threaten to defeat us. Click To Tweet

In the big and the small things, we need a sister (or two) to have our back.

Yes, it’s having a friend who tells you have spinach in your teeth and offers you her compact so you can check it out. It’s knowing there is a number you can dial in the middle of the night when you receive news that needs prayer. It’s knowing there will be a shoulder to cry on and you don’t even need to explain why you are crying because the other person will love you through the hard without knowing the details.

Sisterhood is having someone for the little things and the big things. Sisterhood is having each other’s back.

Even as I write this, I know. I know that someone reading it will say, I don’t have a sister. It pains me. I’ve been there. But something I have learned in my forty-seven years is that opening your heart to be a sister to another will create the opportunity for a sister to be there for you.

One night my sleep-filled eyes read a text message. Emergency surgery?! What? I prayed as I laid in the quiet of the night and nudged my husband to do the same. Later, when rest was unfound, I dressed, and we rode to the hospital. We sat with the parents of the sick, prayed, and carried meaningless conversation to help pass the time. We wanted to have our friend’s back. A sister to a sister. A brother to a brother. Years later, this couple would enter our home to hold us and encourage us in the wake of our son’s death. In a time when we could have let death conquer, we were able to focus on life because another had our back.

As a believer in God, I have my two: God is my Father and He is gracious to give me sisters. Indeed, as Ecclesiastes says, “…three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken”

Think about a time someone was there and had your back. Praise God for this person. Consider reaching out to say thank you with a text or card. Ask if you can support them in any way this week.

Jodie says, “as a believer in God, I have my two.” Read Exodus 14:14. How does this verse encourage your heart?

Lord, who can I stand with today and remind that she is never alone? Help me see that person and help me know how to reach out in love. I lift up my sisters and ask you to be their strength when they feel alone and are being attacked. Give me a heart that stands with my sister, encouraging, praying, and standing with them, back-to-back. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

12 thoughts on “Sisterhood is Having Each Other’s Back

Cheri

I’m an only child so I am extra thankful for my sisters-in-Christ including those online like Jodie and others!

Cheri, I ran across this verse this morning. I shared it a year ago while writing about the many people that welcomed our son into their home in Florida while he was there restoring power after hurricane Michael.

“Jesus replied, Who is my mother? Who are my brothers? Then he looked at those around him and said, “Look, these are my mother and brothers. Anyone who does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother.” Mark 3:33-35 NLT

As brothers and sisters of Christ, we have such a beautiful, extended family. I’m grateful to call you my sister.
    Blessing, Jodie

Melanie

I’m very blessed to have a birth sister and she also my sister in Christ. I reflect on all the times my friends/sisters have been there for me, pray with me or for me. Thank you Lord for the gift of sisterhood.

I’m blessed to call you sister. Yes, because we share the same mom and dad, but most important, because we share the same Father. Thanks for always having my back, sis.

Sandy

Good morning Jodie,
Our church motto is “Better Together” and truly those very words have helped carry me physically, mentally and emotionally through this last year after my fall. I was in rehab when my girls shared what happened. My heart broke for you and your family but all I could do was pray. I do not mean that to sound so trivial because when you can’t do anything else – you can PRAY- I’ve seen the Lily in the Valley do miraculous things, using individuals I never knew personally and The Great Shepherd NEVER left my side for a moment, just as he promised. YOU, are such an awesome inspiration to so many and I love your willingness to edify and encourage others while walking in your own hurt, but knowing that it’s not about us – ITS ALL ABOUT JESUS🙌
God Bless you my Sister❤️

Sandy, I love your church motto. What a wonderful reminder of how God instructs His church to live as the body. All different parts working towards the same purpose. You don’t sound trivial at all. I had caught myself many times saying, “all I can do is pray.” I should say, “the greatest thing I can do for you is pray.” But I understand. We are called to meet one another’s needs and we like being able to do so. We then must trust the things outside of our ability to God. Only He can do immeasurably more than we can ask or imagine. Thank you, for joining the conversation and for being as encouragement. It is all about Jesus 🙂

Melissa Henderson

I am thankful for all my sisters-in-Christ. My two biological sisters and my sisters from all over the world. I truly learn many lessons from those special women.

Isn’t it wonderful to have sisters all around the world? So amazing how God can weave His people together. And yes, the lessons we can learn. I too am grateful. Grateful you took a moment to stop by and share conversation. Have a wonderful week!

Linda J Hayes

Love love love my sister and my sisters in Christ. This is so special! When I listen to Christian music in the morning, while getting ready for work, and driving to work, I’ve been picturing each of the Sisterhood sisters singing along! Blessings of great joy!! Linda

Oh yes! We are singing along. You can count on that, Linda.

Maggie

This Strong Cord of Sisterhood Ministers to my heart over and over♡

Thank you for being part of Sisterhood. Together we are better, Maggie. I’m so grateful for the many times we have stood back to back.