Sisterhood is Loving Each Other When the Chips are Down

The heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as perfume and incense.
Proverbs 27:9 NLT

It takes only a moment to remember the sadness, overwhelm, and fatigue that encapsulated my life almost two decades ago. I was in a dark place, alone and struggling. I don’t remember why it happened or even how I got to that place, but I found myself sinking into a deep, black hole of depression.

No matter what I did to make things better, despair loomed. My workload was huge [partially my fault] and the drive to be the perfect wife, mother, and colleague prompted me to tend to everyone else’s needs, above my own.

For months I managed to hide my struggles and believed I could work through the turmoil on my own. My family, colleagues, and friends had no idea I was drowning on the inside. And I wanted to keep it that way.

But God knew.

Then it came time to start a new school year and admittedly, things were not getting better. I walked around in a fog and wanted to sleep all the time, I had no energy and I did not want to be responsible–for anything. That’s pretty tough to do when you’re a wife, a mom to a young teenage daughter, working a full-time job, and committed to a number of extra activities.

It was during this season of life that God sent a precious sister to my rescue. She was there, working on His behalf to draw me out of the dry, sun-scorched land and lead me to a place where I could be refreshed, replenished and restored.

For reasons I can only explain as God ordained, I poured out my entire story to her, revealing weaknesses, inadequacies and failures. In the ensuing moments I unloaded on her as I poured out my broken heart; but she had asked and I answered.

Instead of judging me she lovingly came at me with scripture. Verse after verse and example after example of God’s love for me. She shared what happens when we don’t care for and tend to our hearts and minds. Then she prayed for me and over me. But it didn’t end there.

The next morning, she stopped by my classroom and gave me several devotions to read from one of her favorite books, ‘Streams in the Desert,’ by Charles Cowman. They were the responses I needed in the season I was struggling through. In the coming months I read them over and over again, finding a treasure trove of comfort, hope, and promises for the future.

After months of being immersed in a thick and desperate darkness I was free; my Redeemer provided a glorious rescue. He provided the nourishment I needed to start anew. He gave me a multitude of grace so I could rise up with courage and confidence. And most importantly, He reminded me to walk by faith and trust Him completely.

I knew when things looked bleak, God was standing next to me. When I had lost my way and couldn’t see His path, He sent a sister to take my hand and lead me. She never gave up. She loved me, encouraged me, and supported me in my time of need. And to this day, our bond is unbreakable. We are best good friends because of God’s portion and provision.

I knew when things looked bleak, God was standing next to me. When I had lost my way and couldn’t see His path, He sent a sister to take my hand and lead me. Click To Tweet

By His grace I survived that tumultuous season. I walked through the sun-scorched land because of a God who never leaves us nor forsakes us, and a caring, loving sister, who heard my cries and met me face-to-face with His Word and glorious light. I’ll always be grateful to this strong, courageous friend for holding my hand when the chips were down and steering me toward a hope-filled future.

What does it mean to you when Scripture says, “Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed?” How have you helped a ‘sister’ when she has fallen?

Do you have a similar story to share? How can you encourage others to reach out and walk alongside a sister when she is struggling and looking for a helping hand?

Heavenly Father, I come to you today thankful that you sustain us through life changing circumstances. I love that you send us sisters of faith who stand firmly in the gaps with us when the chips are down and we can’t see beyond the darkness that envelopes us. I pray we all have a ‘sisterhood’ to lean on and draw strength from in the days ahead. May I too, be a comfort and support to those in need. Thank you for giving us hope when we are in the dry places and for your love and provision to strengthen and restore us. In Your Name I pray, Amen.

28 thoughts on “Sisterhood is Loving Each Other When the Chips are Down

Heidi Benson

Oh my goodness, I have been there.

Yeeeesss,the darkness is real, but God’s Grace is even more so. It trumps the darkness the enemy wants us to live in.

Thank you for this post. It was encouraging.

Thank you Heidi for your kind words and encouragement. The darkness is very real and sometimes we get bogged down in the pit and can’t find our way out. I was thankful for this beautiful sister who pulled me out of the pit and into the light. Her love and support was backed up by God’s Word and a lot of prayer. I’m so glad you’re here with us.
    Blessings to you.

Thanks for being transparent Heidi. Yes the darkness is read… thankfully so is God’s grace. We’re so glad to “see” you here! XO Cindy

Jodie Barrett

:darkness is real, but God’s grace is even more so.” Yes. Heidi, I am so thankful for his grace and others that walk hand in hand through the darkness so we can focus on the light. It only takes a little light to break through and lead us up and out.

Maggie

You are that Sister♡ i feel like ive come so far sonce you sent that message. Whats wrong? You Coached me into one of the most beautiful seasons of my life and for that i am forever grateful. So much is Right in my relationship with Christ. Im not immune to Adversity, but i cling to psalm 31:21 Praise be to the Lord for he has Showed me the Wonders of his love when i was in a city under siege.

Wonders of His love indeed Miss Maggie! I love what you said, “I’m not immune to adversity but I cling…” Yes and yes! We love you! XO Cindy

Jodie Barrett

Such wisdom, Maggie. Clinging to the source of light in the darkness is powerful. I am grateful for that reminder.

Sweet Maggie, you are so precious. Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. Since we met several years ago through Facebook (and finally in person at Suzie’s retreat) you have blessed my life over and over again. Adversity and trials are hard, but I’m thankful we have sisters who can walk beside us, love us, and support us through the good and the not so good times. We serve a Mighty God Who never leaves us, nor forsakes us and when life seems to fall apart, He has our backs. Same thing with our true, blue friends–we are better together. Hugs to you my friend!

Robin Conway

Mitzi ,
I’m so sorry you had to go through that time of despair by yourself! I wish you would have confided in me at that time but I understand. I am so happy that God placed another sister in Christ to help you during that difficult time. You have come so far from that time in your life! I appreciate that you have always been there for me when I’ve needed you. I am very blessed that God made us sisters from birth!
Love you! 😘😘

Robin, I love the “sisterhood” that is unique to you and Mitzi. I have one younger sister and I honestly couldn’t imagine life without her. It is such a gift. You are a blessing to Mitzi AND to many other sisters including us. Love you! XO Cindy

Robin–thank you for your constant support and love. Deep down I wanted to share that experience with you, but I just couldn’t. I remember telling you (many years later) that I had not wanted to burden you because you had your own responsibilities and family to look after.
    I’m thankful that God provided another sister in Christ for me to turn to—she lovingly walked me through this dark journey with God’s Word, daily encouragement, and she was a sounding board. All things I needed–without revealing too much to those around me. As Maggie said above, “none of us are immune to adversity”……….it’s what we do with those times that shape who we are. I love you to the moon and back and incredibly grateful God made us forever sisters.

Michelle Cooper

I identify with this so much. So many times, I feel I can handle things on my own. I don’t want to be a burden to anyone. If your friendship has taught me anything, it is that we are stronger together and asking for help is not weakness. I truly believe God puts angels in our path. Thank you for being so open and honest.

We ARE better together and thinking of you makes me smile. I’m so blessed by your friendship and totally agree with you that God puts angels in our path–like He did when you and I met years ago. Our life journeys take us in different directions with a variety of challenges, but His portion and provision see us through. Blessings to you!

Jodie Barrett

“asking for help is not weakness” and yet, I have failed to ask before. God has shown me time and again how asking for help not only brings me assistance but also blesses the one who really wants to be there. Thank you for sharing in the conversation, Michelle. I am grateful for your time and honesty.

Sheila Watson

Mitzi, thank you so much for sharing your story. I am currently in that darkness. Thankfully I have a few Sisters to lean on and who give sound advice to me.

Sheila, I’m praying for you and so thankful you have sisters to share with! I wondered many times during my period in the dry-scorched land when my day-to-day life would change. I too have a special sister, just like you, who provided encouragement, support, and love along the way. And she propped me up when I made a misstep. One of the things I learned from that experience–I wasn’t supposed to carry the burden alone. God meant for me to share and once I did, the healing process started and little by little I was restored–just like He intended. Blessings to you.

Jodie Barrett

Shelia, We are praying for you. Trusting the Lord to carry you through this dark time and asking Him to shine ever bright. Much love, Jodie

Brandi

Mrs. Neely,
Thank you for sharing your testimony of God’s love and grace. You always show me love and make me feel worthy. Sometimes you don’t even realize how dark my day may have been, but your hugs and kind words bring me the sunshine I needed. Thank you for being so real and kind!
Love,
Brandi

Jodie Barrett

Brandi, the word “sunshine” jumps out to me. During my darkest times, I look for son-shine and ask God to help me find Him in the overwhelming. You pointed out today that hugs and kind words are the sunshine we need and I couldn’t agree more.

Jodie, thanks for the reminder of son-shine! Every where we look He’s there–ready and waiting for us to come unto Him. Love you friend!

Brandi, thank you, thank you for your kind words. You are a precious soul dear friend and don’t ever forget it. You know being real isn’t always easy or comfortable, but we all walk through the fire at some point in our lives. As sisters in Christ we are to build one another up, hold hands to bring assurance, and give credit where credit is due–to our Creator. I’m thankful you found your way here to Sisterhood Ministries and I’m blessed to have you in my life. We are indeed, BETTER TOGETHER.

Kathee Wheeler

Dear Mitzi,
I’m so thankful you shared how your friend reached out to you! It is hard to share the Darkness we experience.
I too have experienced valleys in my life. I may not have had a friend there but I‘m so thankful I have my Daddy who carries me! Many times I have felt His warmth and His presence around me when I’m grieving and on my knees! It was an amazing experience of peace and rest.
God bless you!

Jodie Barrett

Our Daddy is so good to guide us through the valley. I love the visual of Him carrying us that you created with your words Kathee. Thank you for this reminder. Blessings, Jodie

Kathie, our Daddy is a whole lot of goodness, isn”t He? My friend was an angel sent by Him, to support me, love me, and help guide me through this dark time in my life. In the midst of all the overwhelm was a sense of depression too. Nobody wanted to talk about so I couldn’t share it with just anyone. He knew I needed rest, reassurance and restoration and I’m so thankful for His portion and provision. Blessings to your friend!

Dana

I too have gone through times of darkness and despair when I felt alone with my problems. It was God and God alone that rescued me by either sending an angel disguised as a friend or just a ray of hope. It is easy to become mired down in the world’s problem especially when we have personalities that want to the fixers of everything and we put ourselves at the very bottom of our list. We as women need to take care of ourselves, lean on one another and most importantly, listen to God’s instructions!

Dana,
    You words ring so true–‘especially when we have personalities that want to be the fixers of everything and we put ourselves at the very bottom of our list.’ That’s me friend to the max. But God is forever faithful as He guides us through the valleys of life. He sent an angel to help me walk this path and after nine months or so, He brought peace, rest, and restoration. Blessings to you.

Jana Kennedy-Spicer

Thank you for sharing your story Mitzi and for allowing Christ to shine his light on others through you.

Thank you Jana! I’m comforted that He stands beside us when we’re overcome with sadness and overwhelm. I’m incredibly blessed to have had a sister hold my hand through those months of despair and even more blessed that I fully trusted in the Holy One. Blessings friend!